Automotive Parts Headquarters Inc. (APH) is a family- and employee-owned automotive parts retailer and wholesaler serving Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and North Dakota. APH was formed in 1920 under the name National Bushing and Parts Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1938, Jack Bartlett joined the company as a janitor, while he was finishing high school. He worked his way up through various jobs until he became store manager and then in 1959, a financial partner in the St. Cloud store and several other locations. Jack lead the team which produced rapid store growth and the acquisition of Minnesota Parts Warehouse, which ultimately became Automotive Parts Headquarters. Jack Bartlett engineered the physical move in 1972 to the distribution center location on 29th Avenue in St. Cloud, Minnesota, allowing for greater warehouse space and opportunity for future company expansion.
When Jack passed away in 1976, his son, John, who was already part of the business, stepped into the role of president. John, through the 1980s and 90s, has been responsible for great company store growth and business expansion. Today, with its network of 115 company stores and independent store customers, APH is consistently ranked in The Top 20 Super Stores, according to Babcox Media. John has since passed the role of president to a third generation of the Bartlett family, Corey, who was previously on a management team at APH.
In some markets, APH still uses the National Bushing name, in conjunction with Auto Value, the common identity of all APH locations. APH joined the Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance in 1986. As a member, APH uses the Auto Value brand, and draws strength from this coalition of independent aftermarket companies throughout North America. In 2002, APH launched an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Today, the APH ESOP owns one-third of the company and employees are able to participate in ownership of the business.
Automotive Parts Headquarters (APH) is competitively positioned for the future:
- Current management team at APH has more than 250 years of combined automotive aftermarket experience.
- Two-thirds of corporate and independent accounts receive twice-a-day delivery from the warehouse.
- A modern, 160,000-square-foot warehouse facility; significantly more space for additional product lines and new corporate and independent accounts.
- Family- and employee-owned company; people working for the company who care and have an impact.
- Growth mode; APH acquired 20+ corporate store locations and independent accounts since 2005.